Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
SharePoint

Historical glance





Plekhanov Russian University of Economics has a 113 year history that is  closely connected to the  commercial and industrial sectors of Russia.

The necessity to train the professional staff – managers, economists, commercial engineers – came with an extensive growth of industry and economy in the Russian Empire at the beginning of 20th century. In the beginning of the 1900s Moscow Society of Distribution of Commercial Education, using donated money,  bought the land in Zamoskvorechye for construction of the Commercial C ollege for men.

The commercial college for men was established by a Russian entrepreneur and philanthropist Alexey Vishnyakov in 1901. Initially the college was located in timber buildings. In autumn 1903 the new building of the college opened its doors. In 1904 the commercial college for men was honorably named after Tsesarevich Alexey.


A year later the Commercial Female College was opened by the Society of Distribution of Commercial Education near the College for Men. It had a chapel built in the name of Mother of God’s icon “Recovery of the fallen”.   At the same time the courses were organized for training teachers for these colleges.  By 1907 the courses had grown to the level of fully-fledged higher school and were reformed into Moscow commercial institute.  The Minister of Commerce and Industry of Russian Empire signed the relevant document on February 19, 1907 and this date is considered the date of foundation of the first Russian higher school of economics.

In 1911 the construction of the institute building started. However, only the first part was erected, because the First World War stopped further construction. During the war more than 2000 students fought and worked at battlefront, and the hospital for wounded soldiers.

In 1919 the Institute became a State Institute and changed its' name for Moscow Institute of National Economy. Initially it was named after Karl Marx, and only in 1924 the institute was given name of Georgi Plehanov –Russian philosopher and eminent Marxist theoretician.

In the first years of the Soviet government the institute struggled to exist  – there were shortages of fuel, food; there was no salary for teachers in the time of chaos. The Institute, however, succeeded to get through the tough period and to begin its’ development again .

The 19 40th brought the country a terrible ordeal – the Second World War. During the war hundreds of students and working staff of Moscow Institute of National Economy left for battlefront and the majority of them were volunteers. Most of them fought in 17th Corpsof Civil Uprising, that  , consisted of  “Plekhanov companies” .

Post war years were the time of the Moscow Institute of National Economy prosperity. Institute became the leading higher school of economic profile in Soviet Russia. The dynamic re-equipment of scientific and technical base was conducted along with progressive economic research. In 1970s-1980s the new educational building, hostel, a recreation centre and a canteen were constructed. During the Moscow Olympic Games in 1980 the foreign sportsmen lived in the Institute's hostel.

In 1991 due to social and political changes in Russia Moscow Institute of National Economy changed its` name and became Plekhanov Russian Academy of Economics.  The academy kept pace with the time, developing according to the rapidly changing realities of Russian economic life.
 
Plekhanov Russian Academy of Economics has met XXI century with a new step in its' development – a reorganization of educational process, new educational programs, and renovation and construction jobs. In 2010 the academy was awarded the high status of University.

A century later the First and the Second historical buildings of University are presented before us in their initial appearance. The restoration of historical buildings of the University was made, their initial appearance was reconstructed. It was very important to save the historical interior of the building, authenticity of appearance. The city can be proud of restored monuments of architecture of the beginning of XX century, and the students and staff can enjoy the study and work in the beautiful and comfortable educational buildings.
 
Today Plekhanov Russian University of Economics is a recognized and reputable educational and scientific brand. Tenth of thousands of graduates of the University work successfully in Russia and abroad, and most of them are the pride of Russian economic life.