The Department of Foreign Languages №1 was established in September 2007 following changes in the structure of the Russian Plekhanov University of Economics. Previously it was part of the Language Center.
In September 2011 the Department became part of the Humanities Center at the Russian Plekhanov University of Economics.
The strategic goal of language studies at the University is to equip the would-be (future) economists and managers with the language and multicultural language which are instrumental in ensuring effective professional communication in a foreign environment.
This is achieved through developing students’ language and communicative competence.
Students study English, French and German.
The mission of the Department of Foreign Languages is to train economists who would be competitive in today’s dynamic business environment, and, specifically, in the global arena with a good command of language and multicultural competence.
The Department maintains close contacts with its counterparts at Moscow State University, The Higher School of Economics, Finance Academy under the Government of Russian Federation, The Academy of Budget and Treasury and others. As well as with a number of publishing houses including Cambridge University Press, Pearson and Macmillan; The British Council, Education First, The Goethe Institute; with Examination Center Students International.
Our partners help to enhance the performance of the teaching staff through master classes and conferences, workshops and presentations by highly qualified experts in teaching methods, textbook authors and members of international examination boards.
Extracurricular and educational activities
The Department is involved in extensive extracurricular activities with students. Among them are:
• A week of Foreign Languages at the Russian Plekhanov University of Economics;
• Moscow Presentation Contest – presentations in English, the theme being ‘Doing Business in Russia’;
• An all-Russian On-line Contest ‘Towards British Culture’;
• Conferences made by under and postgraduates in English;
• Foreign Language Competitions;
• Meetings with experts from the British Council, as well as from publishing houses;
• Conferences at the Library of Foreign Literature;
The list is far from being conclusive.
The Department’s Teaching Staff:
Head of the Department, PhD 1
Professor, Ph.D. 1
Associate Professor ( PhD – degree holders) 11
Associate Professor (no degree) 10
Senior Lecturer, PhD 1
Senior Lecturer (no degree) 29
The target audience of the Department includes:
• Full and part-time students of the following Faculties: General Economics, Finance, Business, Marketing, Management and Distance learning students.
• Applicants for a post- graduate course from all the departments of the University who are to take examinations required for a higher degree
• University entrants who take part in Foreign Languages Competitions
• University entrants who take competitive entrance examinations to the Russian Plekhanov University of Economics
The Department’s competitive edge
Among its teaching staff there are holders of internationally recognized professional teaching certificates, as well as regular participants in international conferences and grant holders;
Extensive use of interactive technologies in teaching foreign languages
Head of the Department of Foreign Languages, Professor, PhD in History